Due to a possible dead lock on rpmdb, upgrading ESX 4.0 to 4.0 Update 1 can fail or time out and leave the host in an unusable state
- Upgrade operation may fail or hang and can result in an incomplete installation
- Upon reboot, the host that was being upgraded may be left in an inconsistent state and may display a purple diagnostic screen with the following error:
COS Panic: Int3 @ mp_register_ioapic
Note: VMware esxupdate tool can be used standalone and is also used by VMware Update Manager and VMware Host Update Utility.
Who is affected
- Customers using VMware vSphere 4 upgrading to ESX 4.0 U1 on HP Proliant systems with a supported version of HP Insight Management Agents running.
- Customers running rpm commands on systems from any vendor while upgrading to ESX 4.0 U1.
- Upgrade using Update Manager
- Upgrade using esxupdate
- Upgrade using vSphere Host Update Utility