This is an issue with virtual machines that are set to automatically start or stop and that are hosted on ESX 3.x. Manually shutting down, starting up, or restarting hostd through the service console causes hosted virtual machines that are set to automatically change power states to stop, start, or restart, respectively.
- Log in to VirtualCenter.
- Select the ESX Server host where you want restart hostd.
- Select the Configuration tab.
- Select Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown.
- Select Properties.
- Deselect Allow Virtual machines to start and stop automatically with the system.
- Log in to the ESX Server service console as root.
- At the command line run vimsh.
- At the [/] prompt, type:
- Type exit. You can now safely restart mgmt-vmware (hostd).